The announcement of Canal+'s acquisition of a controlling interest (70%) in SPI International was initially made in September 2021.
Canal+ has successfully finalised the acquisition of the remaining 30% ownership of SPI International. Back in 2021, Canal+ had initially secured a 70% stake in SPI. This past April, the company confirmed its intent to exercise an option to obtain the remaining 30% ownership.
This acquisition has now been completed, as Canal+ has purchased the outstanding 30% ownership from Hilda Uziyel. Through its subsidiary, SPI International B.V, Digital SPI International holds a significant portion of the issuer’s shares – specifically, 13,082,126 shares, accounting for 66.00% of the issuer’s share capital and corresponding to 66.00% of the total votes in the issuer.
As a result of this transaction, Canal+ has become the exclusive proprietor of Digital SPI International. SPI’s operations encompass a wide array of more than 40 free-to-air and pay-TV channels throughout several European markets, including Poland, the Czech Republic, Romania, Serbia, the Netherlands, and Russia.
In addition to its channel offerings, SPI is also the driving force behind the FilmBox movie service. In 2021, the company introduced its Dizi-branded streaming platform dedicated to showcasing Turkish content.